Working with Shakti will provide you with a good insight into various ethnic communities as well as the mainstream, Maori and Pacific Island communities in New Zealand. We consider Passion and Commitment towards the cause of bringing about social change as the single most deciding factor for employment. Of course, that means dedication and determination to work from the heart, especially to help achieve the overall well-being of disadvantaged ethnic women and children and thereby ethnic families.
We also welcome Volunteers and Student Placements all year round!
- Chief Operating Officer (COO) – Auckland
- Fundraising, Communications and Relationships (Part-Time) – Auckland
- Op-shop Manager (Full-time) – Auckland
- Volunteers for 4R Op-Shop (Part-time) – Auckland
- Administrator Intern – Sydney NSW
- Funding Contractor (Contract) – Melbourne Central
- Social worker (Part-time) – Melbourne Central
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a 23 years old not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the well-being of migrant refugee women, children and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins.
Led by ethnic women for ethnic women, we work to enhance social justice, women’s rights and contribute to safer ethnic communities.
POSITION: Chief Operating Officer (COO) – Auckland
This is what it would look like:
- You will be overseeing our National Office team consisting of personnel managing human resources, funding and finance.
- You will ensure that policies, standards of practice and quality assurance are maintained by the organisation with respect to management and service delivery.
- You will work in partnership with the National Service Delivery Manager who oversees our social workers servicing vulnerable Asian, African and Middle Eastern women and families.
- You will be representing our organisation at various meetings, within networks and with government departments, with media and advocate/lobby for policies that will enhance the lives of migrant and refugee women and communities in New Zealand.
- You will ensure that our national organisation functions professionally through strengthening relationships between member organisations, between the National Office and member organisations, and actively engage in conflict resolution measures.
- You will ensure that our organisation remains dynamic, true to its cause, and recognises the changing needs of New Zealand’s migrant and refugee communities while helping facilitate their short term and long term well-being
- Since you are keen to be a social change agent, you will work towards enabling safer, empowered ethnic (Asian, African and Middle Eastern) communities.
To manage this work you will require the following skills/attributes:
- Have qualifications linked to management, social policy, gender studies
- Be highly motivated and believe in the cause of enabling women and their families to lead empowered, safe and self-reliant lives.
- You can talk the talk and walk the talk.
- You strive to be compatible with colleagues and see leadership as something that needs followers.
- Be compassionate, empathetic and caring to those whom you work with and towards those we deliver services to.
- Be fluent in English – spoken and written — and able to write advocacy letters
- Besides English, you will be able to speak in at least one Asian, African or Middle Eastern language and have similar lived experiences
- Have at least 5 years’ work experience working in a senior managerial capacity in New Zealand or overseas.
If you have the above skills and attributes and are keen to work with
Shakti, a national NGO specialising in servicing New Zealand’s migrant and refugee communities
send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org ; alternately call or text 027 5347251; www.shakti.org.nz
POSITION: Fundraising, Communications and Relationships Officer (Part-Time) Auckland
- Growing our social media presence
- Maintenance of the monthly newsletters
- Updating the website
- Organization of fundraising events
- Development of visuals for different purposes
- Developing and maintaining partnerships
- Exploring new fundraising avenues
- Increasing our monthly giving program
- Have a degree in Communication, Marketing, Media or relevant experience in the sector
- To be confident and creative to come up with new ideas
- Ability to manage your time and prioritize
- To have excellent organization skills
- Knowledge of social media (Facebook, Instagram twitter)
- To-do attitude
- Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Have good command of spoken and written English
- Knowledge of at least one Asian, African or Middle Eastern language apart from English would be preferable
- Be empathetic towards working with women and children
Job Type: Part-time
The ideal candidate will be a New Zealand Resident or Citizen.
Interested applicants are requested to email their Cover letter and CV to the HR team, at email@example.com .
The responsibilities for this role would include:
• Working with the team to supervise the setup of the new projects
• Taking charge of the planning & collection of donations
• Responsible for recruiting and supervising volunteers
• Managing the shop front
To succeed in this position, it is essential that you can demonstrate the following skills, experience and attributes:
• Previous work experience in Retail/ Non-profit work environment
• Environmentally Conscious
• People’s person
• Comfortable to work with women from cross-cultural backgrounds
• Able to bring innovative ideas to the table
• Able to recruit and maintain a team of volunteers
• Enthusiasm for creating new products out of the recycled items
• Ability to work independently and to lead a team
Job Type: Full-time
Interested applicants are requested to email their Cover letter and CV to the HR team, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer for 4R Op-Shop (Part-time) – AUCKLAND
‘SustInnoworx’ is a 4R Op-Shop Project project by Shakti Community Council Inc. which is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the well-being of immigrant women and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins. Managed by ethnic women for ethnic women we work to enhance social justice, women’s rights and contribute to safer ethnic communities.
‘SustInnoworx’ is seeking dynamic and enthusiastic volunteers for our new venture: the 4R Op-Shop Project.
For this new venture, we need volunteers in the following areas:
• Assisting and serving customers at the store
• Sorting and processing donated goods.
• Receiving, cleaning and merchandising donated goods
• Taking pride in the presentation of our shop
Donation pick up:
• • Picking up donations once or twice a week
• • For this position you need good driving skills and a current full New Zealand driver license
• • Assisting with general maintenance in the store
• • Cleaning furniture, sorting clothes
Help with “Clothes Swap” event:
• Welcoming people
• Sorting clothes
• Taking photos
• Setting up and packing down
‘SustInnoworx’ Social Enterprise Project was launched in August 2015 to empower skilled, unemployed people to harness their skills, abilities and resourcefulness to become entrepreneurs through small businesses. ‘SustInnoworx’ is based on a sustainable and ethical business model, comprising education, up-skilling, innovation and entrepreneurship. Our goal is to promote economic independence and long-term sustainability.
The 4R project seeks to Reduce, Re-cycle, Re-invent and Re-use household goods, material and clothing to create craft and jewellery to support and empower migrant women and refugee women as entrepreneurs and at the same time to promote a sustainable business model and the reduction of our carbon footprint.
If you are interested in this challenging but rewarding role, offering opportunities to volunteer with and grow a national/international organization, please write to us with your CV at email@example.com
Job Type: Volunteer
POSITION: VOLUNTEERS (NATIONAL)
Shakti Community Council is looking for an efficient and enthusiastic volunteers representing the different ethnic communities (Asians, African and Middle East) based in Wellington, Christchurch, Auckland, Tauranga, Rotorua and Te Puke to assist Shakti’s staff in providing support services to ethnic women and children whom are victims of domestic violence in areas of language translation, Crisis pick-up, telephone counselling, youth steering, etc. Interested volunteers should have a feminist perspective, passion to work in the Human Rights area, able to advocate and stand up for women’s rights and issues. Hours are negotiable.
Training and transport expenses will be provided. Interested applicants are requested to email their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a non-profit, community organization, providing social services to Asian, African and Middle Eastern communities in New Zealand. We need highly motivated and enthusiastic women who are keen to join us and make a contribution.