Working with Shakti will provide you with a good insight into various ethnic communities as well as the mainstream, Maori and Pacific Island communities in New Zealand. We consider Passion and Commitment towards the cause of bringing about social change as the single most deciding factor for employment. Of course, that means dedication and determination to work from the heart, especially to help achieve the overall well-being of disadvantaged ethnic women and children and thereby ethnic families.
We also welcome Volunteers and Student Placements all year round!
- Counsellors (Part Time) – Auckland and Christchurch
- HR Administrator (Part Time) – Auckland
- Service & Operations Manager – National Position Based in Auckland
- Specialist Crisis Case Manager & Team Leader (Auckland Region)
- Social Workers – Auckland
- Funding Officer (Part-Time) – Auckland
- Volunteers (to support our social workers) – multiple locations
POSITION: COUNSELLOR (Part Time) Christchurch and Auckland
Do you see yourself as being a part of a dynamic team driven by the need to create a violence-free society? Would you like to engage in counselling vulnerable women and children?
If your answer to both questions is yes, and you have a qualification in Counselling from New Zealand, we would love to meet with you.
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the physical and emotional well-being of migrant and refugee women and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins. Led by ethnic women for ethnic women, we work to enhance social justice, women’s rights and contribute to safer ethnic communities. We are looking for Counsellors to join our Counselling Unit to work with individuals, children and families.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Deliver counselling to women, children and or families.
- Conduct Individual psycho-educational Programmes for vulnerable women and children affected by domestic violence
- Be competent in English, spoken and written, and also be able to speak Hindi and or at least one Asian, African or Middle Eastern language (a must)
- Be good at report-writing, documentation, and general administration
- Be creative and adaptable
- Be a good team player and have efficient time management skills
- Have your own transport and be flexible to travel, Auckland-wide
- Have empathy and ability to work in a cross-cultural setting
- Be ethical and responsible
- In addition, knowledge of Facilitation skills will be a bonus.
The employment will be either part-time or a on a fee-based structure and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To be successful you must have New Zealand Residency/Citizenship. Applicants with at least 2 years existing work permit may be considered.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
- Do you have the following licence or certification: NZ Full Driver Licence?
- How many years of counselling experience do you have?
- Do you speak one of Asian, African, or Middle Eastern languages?
POSITION: HR ADMINISTRATOR (Part Time)
We currently require an HR ADMINISTRATOR to join our National Office team. This ongoing part-time position is based in Auckland, but the role will be responsible for providing general HR support to more than 10 Shakti member organisations across NZ.
Reporting to Service & Operations Manager, you will be someone who is organised and able to initiate good working relationships across the organisation. Resilience and resourcefulness are essential to the role.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Primary point of contact for employee queries
- Recruitment processes
- Generating and tracking employee agreements
- Maintaining HR databases
- Employee grievances
- Exit processes
- Budgeting & reporting
- Assisting payroll queries
- Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
POSITION: SERIVCE & OPERATIONS MANAGER (Full-Time)
This position is based in Auckland but the person will be responsible for service delivery and operations, nationally. Past work experience in women’s organisations in New Zealand / overseas will be an advantage. Appropriate training will be provided to the right candidate.
- Having social work or community development background would be preferred
- Being able to travel around the country flexibly
- Passion to work and actively advocate for women’s and human rights’ issues
- Ability to oversee the activities of around 45 staff excluding volunteers nation-wide
- Good people management, networking, and lobbying skills
- Excellent written and spoken English, including report writing
- Adequate computer skills especially Microsoft programs (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Outstanding administrative skills, being able to coordinate and manage organisation activities nationally
- Being multi-lingual with fluency in at least 1 spoken Asian, African, or Middle-Eastern language apart from English
- Having a valid NZ driving license and own vehicle
- Operate from a women’s rights perspective
- Passionate about working with women and children
- Have a vision for better future for ethnic women and children in New Zealand
- Fair understanding of working in a cross-cultural environment
- Willingness to learn and be open to feedback
Application procedures: Interested applicants are requested to email their Cover letter and CV to the HR team, at firstname.lastname@example.org
NZ Residency or Citizenship will be an advantage. Please state your visa status while responding.
POSITION: Specialist Crisis Case Manager & Team Leader (Auckland Region)
Want to be part of a dynamic team which is unconditionally passionate about what they do?
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a not-for-profit community organization dedicated to improving the well-being of immigrant women and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins. Managed by ethnic women for ethnic women we work to enhance social justice, women’s rights, children’s rights and contribute to safer ethnic communities.
We are looking for an enthusiastic SPECIALIST CRISIS CASE MANAGER & TEAM LEADER to manage our services and lead our multicultural team of social workers and counsellors, implementing various projects aimed at keeping families safe.
Criteria: Since this is a senior position, you must have an NZ qualification/ recognized qualification in either Community Services, Social Work or Social Services and work experience in the social services sector in New Zealand.
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.
- Ability to manage crisis intervention, case assessment, casework and case management skills
- Good administration, coordination and relationship management skills as team leader
- Strong attention to details; be organised and methodical
- Full driving licence and own transport
- Be well versed and experienced with MS Office software usage including Excel.
- Passionate about working with women and children and ensuring their safety while promoting social equality.
- Motivated to be a social change agent
- Willing to put in the extra mile for a worthy cause
- Hard working
- Able to work well under pressure, prioritise and multitask effectively
- Good command over spoken and written English as well as report-writing skills
- Spoken and written fluency in at least one Asian, Middle Eastern or African language
- Empathetic, good listener
To be successful you must be eligible to work legally in New Zealand. If interested, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com or call mobile: 021 736856
POSITION: SOCIAL WORKERS – AUCKLAND
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the well-being of migrant refugee women and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins. Led by ethnic women for ethnic women, we work to enhance social justice, women’s rights and contribute to safer ethnic communities.
To respond to the increasing demand for our services, we are looking at expanding our staff pool of Social Work. We have 1 position open in the North shore area and 1 position in the South Auckland area. We also have 1 position in Wellington
- Family Violence crisis response and management. Includes crisis attendance, assessment, case planning, advocacy, goal development and implementation keeping safety as paramount.
- Attending supervision, internal and external meetings as and when required
- Being ethical and empathetic
- Being culturally competent, be open to training and further development
- Keeping up with required policies and standards of practice including client paperwork documentation and reporting
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have an educational background in Social work
- Be philosophically aligned with Shakti’s area of work
- Be passionate about working with women and children and ensuring their safety while promoting women’s empowerment
- Be available to work based on a roster for crisis attendance
- Be able to work well under pressure; prioritise effectively and be confident in making decisions that impact on clients’ wellbeing
- Be a good team player and support team mates proactively when required
- Open to understanding the complex dynamics surrounding family and gender-based violence and have a women’s rights perspective
- Have a fair understanding of working in a cross cultural environment
- Fluent in at least one Asian, Middle Eastern or African language (Hindi/Mandarin/ Cantonese speakers will have an advantage)
- Have a full driving license
- Be excellent in spoken and written English language skills
NZ Residency or Citizenship will be an advantage. Please state your visa status while responding.
Selected candidates will be provided with full training. Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and work experience. If interested, please email your CV & covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION: FUNDING OFFICER – AUCKLAND (Part-Time)
SHAKTI is looking for someone who can advocate and develop funding and fundraising opportunities for the organisation.
Skills /Qualifications Required:
- Ideally have a degree in business administration, social policy or international development
- Have excellent communication, advocacy and negotiation skills
- Relevant work experience in fundraising will be helpful
- Ability to work under pressure and meet funding targets and application deadlines
- Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Able to think laterally and innovatively
- Have good command of spoken and written English
- Be able to lobby and advocate for new projects and their funding
- Ability to build good interpersonal relationship with staff, funders and networks
- Be Multi-lingual (with knowledge of at least one Asian, African or Middle Eastern language apart from English)
- Be empathetic towards working with women and children
- Full driving license required
To be successful apart from above mentioned skills, you must have New Zealand Residency or Citizenship.
The Position is based in Auckland and will be part time for 21 hours a week. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
POSITION: VOLUNTEERS (NATIONAL)
Shakti Community Council is looking for an efficient and enthusiastic volunteers representing the different ethnic communities (Asians, African and Middle East) based in Wellington, Christchurch, Auckland, Tauranga, Rotorua and Te Puke to assist Shakti’s staff in providing support services to ethnic women and children whom are victims of domestic violence in areas of language translation, Crisis pick-up, telephone counselling, youth steering, etc. Interested volunteers should have a feminist perspective, passion to work in the Human Rights area, able to advocate and stand up for women’s rights and issues. Hours are negotiable.
Training and transport expenses will be provided. Interested applicants are requested to email their CVs to email@example.com.
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a non-profit, community organization, providing social services to Asian, African and Middle Eastern communities in New Zealand. We need highly motivated and enthusiastic women who are keen to join us and make a contribution.