Working with Shakti will provide you with a good insight into various ethnic communities as well as the mainstream, Maori and Pacific Island communities in New Zealand. We consider Passion and Commitment towards the cause of bringing about social change as the single most deciding factor for employment. Of course, that means dedication and determination to work from the heart, especially to help achieve the overall well-being of disadvantaged ethnic women and children and thereby ethnic families.
We also welcome Volunteers and Student Placements all year round!
- Administration Manager – Counselling Services (National Position Based in Auckland)
- Finance Assistant (Henderson, Auckland)
- Counsellors (Auckland Region)
- Volunteers (to support our social workers) – multiple locations
POSITION: ADMINISTRATION MANAGER – COUNSELLING SERVICES
Do you have a background in Administration, Management, Psychology or Counselling?
We are looking for an enthusiastic and out-going person who has the ability to effectively manage our Counselling Services, at a national level, while maintaining given standards of practice, ethics and a harmonious a multi-cultural work environment.
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the well-being of immigrant women and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins. Led by ethnic women for ethnic women, we work to enhance social justice, women’s rights and contribute to safer ethnic communities.
Location:National Position based in West Auckland
- Qualification in Business administration. A background in psychology/social work/gender studies/counselling would be of an advantage, however it is not essential.
- Excellent administration and relationship management skills
- Strong attention to detail – be organised and methodical
- Fluency in at least one Asian, Middle Eastern or African language (A must)
- Able to work well under pressure, prioritise and multitask effectively
- Full driving licence and own transport
- Be well versed and experienced with MS Office including working on Excel databases.
- Passionate about working with women, children and families and ensuring their safety, while promoting social equality.
- Motivated to be an integral part of social change
- Willing to put in the extra mile for a worthy cause
- Good command over spoken and written English as well as report-writing skills
- Be able to attend network meetings and effectively advocate for Shakti and its cause
- Empathetic and good listener
- An understanding of the complex dynamics surrounding family and gender based violence and a strong belief in living life abuse-free
The position is full time (35-hours per week). Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.If you are interested in a challenging but rewarding role, we would be very interested to hear from you.
To be successful apart from above mentioned skills, you must have New Zealand Residency or Citizenship.
Application procedures: Interested applicants are requested to email their Cover letter and CV to the HR team, at firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION: FINANCE ASSISTANT
We have a part time opening for a Finance Assistant to support our Finance Officer in Auckland. This position is based in Henderson. There may be scope to increase work hours in the near future.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Timely bill payments
- Processing Wages and PAYE
- Xero data entry and tracking of expenses
- Bank reconciliation
- Monitor and track expenses.
- Managing Petty cash and related expenses
- Supporting the finance officer with financial audits for all Shakti centres
- Supporting the preparation of financial reports for the Annual General meeting and funding audits
- Filing Annual returns, PAYE and GST on time
Relevant Qualifications/Skills required:
- Not for profit work experience preferred but not essential
- Diploma level 5 or higher in accountancy with alteast 1-2 years of experience in in accounts payable
- Be well-versed with PAYE, GST payments and Payroll
- Good excel skills – intermediate level
- Have good knowledge of XERO will be an added advantage
- Multi-lingual —in English and have written/spoken knowledge of at least one Asian, African and/or Middle Eastern language
- Manage organizational finances at the micro level
- Be well versed with reconciliation procedures in terms of banking, accounting, consolidation and preparation of annual financial statements for audit
- Good networking and stakeholder relationship management skills
- Be empathetic towards working with vulnerable women and children
- Be organized and methodical and able to work under pressure
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Have New Zealand driver’s license and own transport
The ideal candidate would be methodological and diligent in maintaining operational policies and procedural standards. You will also be a team-player, flexible to engage in volunteer work in various aspects of our organization in achieving our mission of ending family and domestic violence in ethnic communities. * Please specify your work rights in New Zealand in your application*
MULTIPLE OPENINGS FOR COUNSELLORS – Auckland Region
Do you see yourself as being a part of a dynamic team driven by the need to create a violence-free society? Would you like to engage in counselling vulnerable women and children?
If your answer to both questions is yes, and you have a qualification in Counselling or Psychology, we would love to meet with you.
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the physical and emotional well-being of migrant and refugee women and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins. Led by ethnic women for ethnic women, we work to enhance social justice, women’s rights and contribute to safer ethnic communities. We are looking for Counsellors to join our Counselling Unit to work with individuals, children and families.
As a Counsellor in Shakti, you will be expected to:
- Deliver counselling to women, children and or families.
- Conduct Individual psycho-educational Programmes for vulnerable women and children affected by domestic violence
- Be competent in English, spoken and written, and also be able to speak at least one Asian, African or Middle Eastern language (a must)
- Be good at report-writing, documentation, and general administration
- Be creative and adaptable
- Be a good team player and have efficient time management skills
- Have your own transport and be flexible to travel, Auckland-wide
- Have empathy and ability to work in a cross-cultural setting
- Be ethical and responsible
In addition, knowledge of Facilitation skills will be a bonus
The employment will be either part-time or a on a fee-based structure and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To be successful you must have New Zealand Residency/Citizenship. Applicants with at least 2 years existing work permit may be considered.
If interested, please email your CV & covering letter to email@example.com
POSITION: VOLUNTEERS (NATIONAL)
Shakti Community Council is looking for an efficient and enthusiastic volunteers representing the different ethnic communities (Asians, African and Middle East) based in Wellington, Christchurch, Auckland, Tauranga, Rotorua and Te Puke to assist Shakti’s staff in providing support services to ethnic women and children whom are victims of domestic violence in areas of language translation, Crisis pick-up, telephone counselling, youth steering, etc. Interested volunteers should have a feminist perspective, passion to work in the Human Rights area, able to advocate and stand up for women’s rights and issues. Hours are negotiable.
Training and transport expenses will be provided. Interested applicants are requested to email their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shakti Community Council Inc. is a non-profit, community organization, providing social services to Asian, African and Middle Eastern communities in New Zealand. We need highly motivated and enthusiastic women who are keen to join us and make a contribution.