Shakti Migrant & Refugee Women’s Support Group Melbourne Inc. was incorporated in Melbourne on October 27, 2011, following the formation of a Steering Group led by local women, and the founding members and senior members of Shakti New Zealand.
The goal of Shakti Migrant & Refugee Women’s Support Group Melbourne Inc. is to promote the well-being, safety and human rights of women of Asian, African and Middle Eastern backgrounds.
The services we provide include:
- 24-hour multilingual Crisis Call service for women in violent and or abusive situations
- Drop-in services in South-East Melbourne, and Melbourne City extending to surrounding metropolitan
- Regional campaigns and advocacy on immigrant women of colour issues
- Case Management & Advocacy services
- Safety planning including temporary safe accommodation for victims of violence and their children (Link to member organisation)
- Outreach work with women and youth
- Support group activities including English conversational group sessions, Women’s Day events, The Global Kitchen
- Working with Schools
- Awareness and training programmes/workshops for Community Advocates/ Volunteers